A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) Lakshman Sagar : A Trail into the Nature and Luxury - The Wanderlust Trails, Travel and Leisure : Today Indya

Latest News

PUBG loses battle for India, among 118 Chinese mobile apps banned by Centre
Monday, March 9, 2020 IST
PUBG loses battle for India, among 118 Chinese mobile apps banned by Centre

India accounts for over a quarter of PUBG Mobile’s lifetime installs though revenues from the country are still minuscule
 

 
 

India on Wednesday banned 118 mobile applications linked to China including the widely popular game PUBG Mobile Lite, saying there were reports that these apps were ‘stealing and surreptitiously transmitting users’ data in an unauthorised manner. The government said these apps promoted activities “prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order”.
 
“This move will safeguard the interests of crores of Indian mobile and internet users. This decision is a targeted move to ensure safety, security and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace,” the ministry of electronics and information technology (MEITY) said on Wednesday afternoon, announcing the ban that could hurt some of China’s technology giants such as Tencent Holdings Ltd, the country’s search engine leader Baidu Inc, Xiaomi’s ShareSave and online payments giant Ant Group Co.’s platform Alipay.
 
India accounts for over a quarter of PUBG Mobile’s lifetime installs though revenues from the country are still minuscule, a Bloomberg report said citing data from research firm Sensor Tower. PlayerUnknown’s BattleGrounds, popularly known as PUBG, had seen its user numbers rocket in India as the coronavirus-related lockdowns boosted gaming. The banned versions of PUBG included PUBG Mobile Lite, a leaner version of the app suited to inexpensive smartphones, as well as PUBG Mobile Nordic Map: Livik, a newer game played on a Nordic terrain.
 
PUBG was developed by a South Korean company, but the mobile version that has taken off around the world was developed by Chinese tech giant Tencent, news agency AFP said.
 
Officials said there had been reports by parents, civil society activists and other stakeholders about PUBG’s ‘violent’ content. “The apps have been banned to ensure there is no data theft,” said the official. The official added that the Indian alternative to PUBG, Scarfall, may now gain more traction.
 
This is the third round of bans after India decided to take down Tik Tok and 59 other applications on June 29. The second round of blocks came on July 23, when the ministry decided to take down mirror applications that were functioning despite the ban. These applications were also banned for being a ‘threat to the sovereignty of the country and national security’. IT minister Ravi Shankar Prasad had then called the order a ‘digital strike against China’.
 
 
Wednesday’s fresh order comes in the wake of border tensions with China spiraling in the sensitive Ladakh sector after China’s People Liberation’s Army (PLA) made an abortive bid to grab Indian territory in a stealthy midnight move on August 29, officials familiar with the developments said on Tuesday. The Indian army, however, preempted the PLA and occupied key heights on the southern bank of Pangong Tso.
 
The PLA made a second provocative move on August 31 but the Indian Army took “timely defensive action” to thwart the Chinese attempt to unilaterally alter the status quo in the sector, the ministry of external affairs said on Tuesday.
 
The third round of ban on China-linked mobile applications was ordered against this backdrop and is widely seen as an effort by New Delhi to send a message to Beijing that its aggressive posturing along the Line of Actual Control would come with costs elsewhere. India’s ban on TikTok had prompted several other countries to take a hard look at the company earlier and led to US President Donald Trump’s decision to ban the mobile app from carrying out any transactions in the United States from mid-September.
 
The IT ministry, however, did not allude to the border situation. Instead, it cited a report from the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre located within the Ministry of Home Affairs that had sent an exhaustive recommendation “for blocking these malicious apps”.
 
A MEITY official, who did not wish to be named, said that the ban had been affected under the ‘emergency provisions of the IT Act.

 
 

The ministry invoked its power under section 69A of the Information Technology Act read with the relevant provisions of the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking of Access of Information by Public) Rules 2009 and in view of the emergent nature of threats has decided to block 118 mobile apps ‘since in view of information available they are engaged in activities which is prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order’, the public statement said.
 
“We got a report of the violations yesterday and have immediately ordered blocking the applications,” he said, explaining that notices are being sent to mobile apps to give their counter to the decision.
 
The same process was followed for the previous round of bans. “They will be given a chance to put forth a representation on their behalf,” he added.
 
“The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has received many complaints from various sources including several reports about misuse of some mobile apps available on Android and iOS platforms for stealing and surreptitiously transmitting users’ data in an unauthorized manner to servers which have locations outside India,” the ministry said in a statement.
 
“The compilation of these data, its mining and profiling by elements hostile to national security and defence of India, which ultimately impinges upon the sovereignty and integrity of India, is a matter of very deep and immediate concern which requires emergency measures,” the ministry said.
 

 
 
 
 
 

Related Topics

 
 
 

Trending News & Articles

 Article
10 SAFEST COUNTRIES TO TRAVEL TO IN 2022

The world has moved into an alternate stage throughout the course of recent years, all because of the pandemic. This prompted monetary slumps in each nation and the...

Recently posted . 3K views . 1 min read
 

 Article
3 HIGHLY OVERVALUED THINGS WE SPEND OUR MONEY ON

Let me start by saying that these are my personal views. I know there will be people who will support my views and those that won’t. This is all fine. The ide...

Recently posted . 3K views . 1 min read
 

 Article
World Tourism Day 2021: Top 10 Tourist Destinations in India

From historical landmarks to dazzling beaches, architectural marvels to natural splendours, India has a plethora of notable sites to visit that will undoubtedly piq...

Recently posted . 3K views . 1 min read
 

 Article
The best way to consolidate credit card debt

Whenever you conclude that you are fed up with making such countless installments on the entirety of your charge cards and obligations and you need to combine them,...

Recently posted . 3K views . 1 min read
 

 
 

More in Electronics & Gadgets

 Article
You’ll Be Able to Reach Mumbai from Delhi Within 12 Hours with This New Expressway!

Listen up travellers!   The government has announced that the new Delhi-Mumbai Expressway, which will connect the two major met...

Recently posted. 1K views . 2 min read
 

 Article
Tharangambadi: A Dazzling Danish Village In India Just 3 Hours From Pondicherry

You have taken your usual route as you go down the Coromandel coastline for your daily morning run from your hotel. Today, you decide to go a little further, crossi...

Recently posted. 1K views . 3 min read
 

 Article
Bhutan ends free travel for Indian passport holders. Add Rs 1,200 per day to your trip

Bhutan recently decided to end free travel for Indian passport holders visiting the country. The country will now charge a fee of Rs 1,200 per day.

Recently posted. 1K views . 1 min read
 

 Article
5 Places In Delhi That'll Make You Feel You're A Million Miles Away

At the best and the worst of times, Delhi can be a little overwhelming. In all of the confusion, sometimes we just need to take a break and get away for a little wh...

Recently posted. 1K views . 3 min read
 

 Article
Planning a Euro Trip? Here's how I did my Budget Trip under 1,500 Euro *Links and Reccos included

We've all seen European Christmas in movies and the stunning New Year fireworks at Champs Elysees and like any other traveler, this was on my list and little di...

Recently posted. 1K views . 1 min read
 

 
 
 

   Prashnavali

  Thought of the Day

Patience With Others is Respect.
Anonymous

Be the first one to comment on this story

Close
Post Comment
Shibu Chandran
2 hours ago

Serving political interests in another person's illness is the lowest form of human value. A 70+ y old lady has cancer.

November 28, 2016 05:00 IST
Shibu Chandran
2 hours ago

Serving political interests in another person's illness is the lowest form of human value. A 70+ y old lady has cancer.

November 28, 2016 05:00 IST
Shibu Chandran
2 hours ago

Serving political interests in another person's illness is the lowest form of human value. A 70+ y old lady has cancer.

November 28, 2016 05:00 IST
Shibu Chandran
2 hours ago

Serving political interests in another person's illness is the lowest form of human value. A 70+ y old lady has cancer.

November 28, 2016 05:00 IST


ads
Back To Top